Friday, January 18, 2008

insanity is relative

I ran over lunch yesterday. It was very cold (4 degrees) & windy in the metro, I only saw one other person on my 8 mile loop.

Anyhoo, I got back to the office & did some quick stretching in the parking lot. As I shivered & stretched my quads, I observed a woman shivering whilst smoking a cigarette.

And I wondered which one of us was crazier.

I was out in the cold for an hour because I wanted to run outside. She was out in the cold for 5 minutes (or however long it takes to polish off a Marlboro) because she had to be. Nicotine addiction is powerful stuff, from what I understand.

So, who's crazier; the person who had to be outdoors for a short time, or the person who wanted to be outdoors for a long time?

I'm sure the general population would be split about 50/50 on this one. Since this is the Minnesota Distance Running Association blog & not the Minnesota Smoking Association blog...I'm going to say the smoking woman was barking-mad lunatic, and I am the most sane dude ever.

No comments: